Friday, October 26, 2012

So Simple You'll Be Kicking Yourself!

It's clear I'm an inconsistent blogger at best. Not a good thing, I know. I'm just taking a short break from editing Shadow Tag, the second in my Ray Schiller mystery series, to share something I should have shared ages ago.
http://amzn.to/JQqo5y
Short and sweet, it's the "I" vs. "me" issue.

a) Steve went to the store with Mary and I.
b) Steve went to the store with Mary and me.

a) He gave Mary and I cash and a list of items.
b) He gave Mary and me cash and a list of items.

a) Mary and me came back with no change.
b) Mary and I came back with no change.

If you're not sure, here's the solution: When deciding whether "I" or "me" is the right choice, forget nominative and objective case, prepositions and all the rest. All you really need to do is forget Mary! I don't care if Mary is "Miss Universe", or if the items are gold ingots, or even if they came back with a million dollars. Get rid of Mary ... or Tom, Dick and Harry or anyone else who might be tagging along.

It's the simplest solution to a too-frequent problem. Just take the other/others out of the equation temporarily. You'll see what I mean below.

a) Steve went to the store with I.
b) Steve went to the store with me.

a) He gave I cash and a list of items.
b) He gave me cash and a list of items.

a) Me came back with no change.
b) I came back with no change.

Could it get any easier? I don't think so!

Once you've callously ditched any and all companions and made the proper choice, go ahead and invite Mary and the whole Tabernacle Choir along again if you like, but you can finally move on with confidence. Don't you wish they'd have taught you that little trick back in school? Now that you know, you can either snicker at others still struggling with the I/me issue, send them here, or make a friend for life and share this tip yourself.

Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment